Kids Classes! Arts, crafts, workshops, lessons, and more!
- About: Your children will absolutely adore the 20,000 square foot Children’s Room and 40 foot mural of Maurice Sendak’s “Where the Wild Things Are”... Many programs at the Main Library and nine branches designed for children. Lots of ways to get your child in everything from reading to chess to art projects.
- More Information: 803.231.6353 richlandlibrary.com
- Hours: 9a - 9p Mon - Thurs; 9a - 6p Fri & Sat; 2p - 6p Sun
- Location: 1431 Assembly St.
Lexington County Library
- About: Lexington County Library helps children get an early start developing a love for books and reading. With their 11 libraries all across the county, many of their programs are family oriented. From their Lapsit program for babies up to 2 years old, to their Toddlertime and Preschool Story Time, to Books & Beyond for kids up to Grade 5, the Library will help you introduce your young ones to the joy of reading. There are teen oriented programs like Cosplay Celebration which lets your teen show off all of their costuming and get tips and tricks from others like them. There's an Unplugged: Family Fun Night meant for you and your family to play together, craft together and tell stories, no electronics allowed! There are Music and Movement classes for teaching your family about musical activities and rhythmical stories and rhymes!
- 5440 Augusta Road Lexington, SC 29072
- (803) 785-2600
- About: Super Sibling is a program of Lexington Medical Center, where children learn what to expect when a new sibling is born. Kids watch a short video, tour the nursery and practice baby-holding techniques. After storytime, each child receives a certificate and photo keepsake. Designed for children ages 3-10. Space is limited and registration is required. An adult must stay with the child during class, which is held from 6pm - 7:30pm. Cost is $20. Register at 803.791.2869 or online at lexmed.com.
- 2720 Sunset Blvd. West Columbia, SC 29169 (Main Campus)
- (803) 791-2869
CMA Art School
- About: At the Columbia Museum of Art, there are art classes that pertain to both kids and adults! Kids can learn about the art world and CMA's extensive collection with Gladys' Gang, an ongoing series where kids are shown an exhibit and they create an art or craft based on what they saw! Adult classes, however, range from learning how to draw faces, portraits, figures and more about the human body and the environment around them. Ongoing.
- 1515 Main Street Columbia, SC 29201
- (803) 799-2810
Columbia Museum of Art Family Fun
- About: At the Columbia Museum of Art, there are art classes that pertain to both kids and adults! Kids can learn about the art world and CMA's extensive collection with Gladys' Gang, an ongoing series where kids are shown an exhibit and they create an art or craft based on what they saw!
- 1515 Main Street Columbia, SC 29201
- (803) 799-2810
City of Columbia
- About: The Art Center is Parks and Recreation's home for cultural arts. It is the center of multiple opportunities for adults and children alike, as it houses classes, workshops and open studio for participants to explore and learn about the visual arts. A variety of classes, workshops and art camps are offered, many for children.
USC String Project
- About: The USC String Project provides instruction in violin, viola, cello and bass through group clases and orchestras. They offer beginners class for children from 3rd to 5th grade and for adults as well! They also offer private lessons. This wonderful program let's USC music students gain teaching experience and let's your family learn an instrument!
- 813 Assembly Street, Columbia SC
Southern Pottery Workcenter and Gallery
- About: Southern Pottery Work Center and Gallery offers classes in handbuilding and wheelthrowing throughout the year. Moms and daughters can develop an artistic bent and make lasting memories!
- 3105 Devine Street, Columbia, SC 29205
- (803) 251-3001
SC Farmers Market
- About: The South Carolina State Farmers Market is an exciting place for children! With fresh produce and plants all around, the sights and smells are sure to keep your kids entertained for a while. Let them pick out something for dinner or a plant for their own garden. Families are sure to enjoy fresh produce, plants and other goodies that are all Certified SC grown!
- 3483 Charleston Hwy, West Columbia, SC 29172
- (803) 737-4664
Saluda Shoals Park
- About: Saluda Shoals Park is a beautiful 400-acre riverfront park that is the perfect spot for families to enjoy the treasures of the Saluda River through exceptional educational, recreational, and cultural opportunities. There is outdoor fun for the entire family to enjoy such as fishing, canoeing, kayaking, picnicking, bird watching, nature hiking and more! Both paved and unpaved paths are available for hiking, biking, and horseback riding and Saluda Shoals also offers a boat ramp and canoe/kayak launch. They also have geocaching, obstacle courses, bird walks, flower safaris and so much more! If you want to instill a love of nature into your child's life, head to Saluda Shoals! For directions and seasonal hours of operation, check out icrc.net!
- 5605 Bush River Rd., Columbia, SC
Crooked Creek Park
- About: Offers both paved and unpaved trails for hiking, and several picnic shelters and playgrounds to make for the perfect outdoor family outing. In addition, a variety of programs are available that the entire family can enjoy such as woodcarving, belly dancing, pottery classes, youth dance classes, the Crooked Creek Art League, guitar lessons, gymnastics, karate, and various youth league sports. Check out icrc.net for more information!
- 1098 Old Lexington Hwy, Chapin, SC
Seven Oaks Park
- About: is a full-service recreation complex offering fitness, athletics, and both instructional and cultural arts programs for both parents and kids. This community center offers families a recreation complex with a full gymnasium, fitness area, dance studio, art studio, athletic fields, tennis courts, paved walking trails, picnic shelters, playgrounds and a community garden. Seven Oaks Park also offers a variety of fun programs for children and adults alike. Visit icrc.net for further information!
- 200 Leisure Lane, Columbia, SC
SC Department of Natural Resources
- About: SC Department of Natural Resources has an events calendar packed with countless fun and educational lectures, classes, conferences, walks & talks and more! Check it out to see what's going on around Columbia!
Dreher Island State Park
- About: There's so much your family can do at this wonderful state park located on the shores of gorgeous Lake Murray. Enjoy fishing for several types of bass, take a leisurely boat ride or pack a picnic and enjoy the fresh air under one of 13 shelters. Your family can also enjoy the playground, take a relaxing walk along the ¼-mile Billy Dreher Nature Trail or experience the moderate 2.1 mile hike along the Little Gap Trail. Better than doing a few of these activities is doing them all! Pack up the tent and do everything on an at-home vacation!
Sesquicentennial State Park
- About: Sesquicentennial State Park situated in the middle of the Sandhills region, features a beautiful 30-acre lake surrounded by trails and picnic areas. Check out their programs like the Owl Prowl where you can discover the secret lives of these avian neighbors, uncover their nocturnal habits and unveil their amazing adaptations, or the Snakes of South Carolina program, where participants will uncover local myths associated with our slithering friends and discover what makes them so helpful to humans and the environment. Check out the 3.5 mile Loop Road Trail, the 1.9 mile Sandhills Hiking Trail, the 0.4 mile Jackson Creek Nature Trail and the 6.1 mile Mountain Bike Trail as well.
Lake Wateree State Recreation Area
- About: Located on Desportes Island, Lake Wateree has ample camping space with 72 sites, including many that accommodate large RVs and all with water and electrical service. The Desportes Island Nature Trail is a great feature! It is moderate 0.7 mile loop around this beautiful lake. Yet another great place to experience the outdoors!
City of Columbia Parks and Recreation
- About: City of Columbia Parks & Recreation Department oversees EVERYTHING - parks, rental facilities, arts opportunities, athletics, gardens, dog parks, pools, skate parks, and special/holiday events. Spend a Saturday together and enjoy Columbia's great outdoors over a picnic lunch in Finlay Park. Moms and daughters can enjoy Zumba classes at the Drew Wellness Center, while dads and sons could spend time kickboxing! The City of Columbia offers so many services - take advantage and enjoy some family time together! For specifics, visit columbiasc.net/parksandrec.
Congaree National Park
- About: Congaree National Park houses a museum quality exhibit area within the Harry Hampton Visitor Center, a 2.4 mile boardwalk loop trail, over 20 miles of backwoods hiking trails, canoeing, kayaking, fishing and more. There's no better way to see the park than by canoe, and Congaree National Park offers FREE ranger guided canoe tours most Saturdays and Sundays. Congaree National Park also offers guided walks, talks and presentations throughout the year. All are free of charge. Learn about this beautiful National Park as a family!
- (803) 776-4396
Lexington County Recreation Tennis
- About: There is a plethora of opportunities for kids to get healthy and have fun at the Lexington County Leisure Centers and Tennis Facilities. If you and your children want to play tennis, there is no place better to learn and/or play than on their courts. They offer a Tennis Player Development Program for ages 4-17 as well as lessons and court time.
- Lexington County Tennis Center: 425 Oak Dr. Lexington
- Cayce Tennis and Fitness Center: 1120 Fort Congaree Trail Cayce
Learn to Fish!
- About: The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources offers family fishing clinics throughout the year. Four clinics will be offered in the Greater Columbia area this summer. To register, visit the DNR website.
Carolina Children’s Garden
- Give your kids a chance to explore, play and learn in a natural environment of birds and butterflies. Comprised of 12 themed areas like Old McDonald’s Farm, kids will learn about historic crops and play in the farmstead, the Alphabet Garden and the Mesozoic Memories Dinosaur Garden! You are welcome to bring a leashed pet too. Free.
- More information: 803.459.3212 clemson.edu
- Hours: 7:30a - dusk
- Location: 900 Clemson Road Columbia
- About: Adventure Carolina offers guided trips for kayaking, hiking, and paddling down Broad River. Private lessons (kayaking, canoeing) and rentals (kayaks, canoes, tubes) are also available, along with a retail store in Cayce. Private groups are welcome to set up classes and trips, so gather the family for your own adventure! 803-796-4505
- About: Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens is a great place for the whole family to enjoy! Animal demonstrations, 3-D Presentations, the Wild Adventures Climbing Wall, themed gardens, the Aquarium Reptile Complex, the Birdhouse at Riverbanks, and Lemur Island are wonderful learning tools for children and engaging fun for everyone! To learn more about presentation times and other features, call 803-779-8717!
- About: The Columbia Disc Golf Club offers a great opportunity to have fun and spend some time together! For specifics about the many disc golf courses in the greater Columbia area, visit columbiadiscgolfclub.com!
- About: The South Carolina Rail Road Museum is fun for the entire family! All aboard! Enjoy an hour-long train ride from the first class dining car, historical passenger car, caboose, or the newly restored open air car. You can peruse any of their static display cars or walk through a display train featuring a business car, post office car, caboose, and more. Learn even more at their museum gallery and pick up a souvenir at The Station gift shop! 803-635-4242
- About: The Columbia Rowing Club offers recreational rowing (sculling or sweep) for ages 13-94 at the Richland County Rowing Center. The Club meets every third Tuesday of the month and has a ʺLearn to Rowʺ program for interested beginners! For more details, check out columbiarowingclub.com!
- About: Lanier Sailing Academy of Lake Murray offers sunset sails, sailing lessons, and a sailing club for sailing enthusiasts! Rentals are also available. Sailing courses are 3 days, after which participants can sail up to a 25-foot-long boat on their own (with crew). 803-317-9070
- About: A wonderful place to relax and encourage imaginative play! The 2-acre garden has several fun themed areas for children to play and explore including Pooh's garden, Butterfly Garden, The Three Bears Garden, Old McDonald's Farm, McGregor's Carrot Patch, and an Alphabet garden displaying plants that start with each letter of the alphabet. This beautiful little garden also features a small playground and a picnic area, perfect for parents to sit and watch their little ones play!
- About: Cottle Strawberry Farm is open to the public every Spring. The exact season depends on the weather but usually runs from April through May and sometimes a week or two in June. Call 803-695-1714 for more information.
- About: is the perfect place to come together as a family and pick tasty fresh blueberries! Come and discover the natural flavor and goodness of fresh blueberries and reconnect! Berry Hill Farms is normally open from the last week of June to the first week of August. Picking occurs from 7AM to 1PM and then again from 6PM to sunset. 803-957-4203
- About: offers great family fun with a roller hockey rink, a skating/skateboard area with ramps and quarterpipes, and inline skating paths! 803-343-8788
- About: serves up fun, food, and entertainment for all! Rated one of the top 50 fairs in the United States, the South Carolina State Fair offers something for everyone to enjoy. Come ride the Ferris wheel and take in the enticing smell of corn dogs and cotton candy! Listen to one of music's hottest performers or explore countless agricultural exhibits! The South Carolina state fair provides not only fun but education and great competitive exhibit opportunities for all! Find your happy at the South Carolina State Fair! Call 803-799-3387 for more information.
- About: is located at Fort Jackson and features two water slides, a huge family pool, a splashdown pool, a kiddy pool, a lazy river and even a snack bar for tasty treats! To enter Fort Jackson a valid driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance is required. 803-751-4056
- About: is a modern miniature golf facility that mimics the challenges and features of real golf. Surrounded by a lush, botanical garden setting with meandering streams and waterfalls, beautiful fountain displays and realistic rock sculpturing, Palmetto Greens Miniature Golf makes an ideal setting for a fun family outing! 803-751-7351
The Irmo Chapin Recreation Commission Parks
- About: is a great way to be active and have fun. Take a family bike ride through Crooked Creek Park or enjoy the community garden at Seven Oaks Park. However you take advantage of the ICRC, relax and have fun! An athletic calendar, information for registration, and specifics about each location are maintained at icrc.net!
The Richland County Recreation Commission
- About: offers a variety of fun activities for you and your family to get involved in including basketball, kickball, and track, just to name a few. For specific programs or to lend a helping hand, visit richlandcountyrecreation.com!
- About: offers programs for youth and adults, incorporating techniques from around the world emphasizing physical fitness, self-protection, and tools for success in and out of the studio. The whole family can work toward calmer, more confident selves! For updated class schedules and other specifics, check out the website.
- About: will whip you into shape! Muay Thai kick boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, MMA X-Fit training, and Kali are great ways for the whole family to work off dessert and build confidence! For prices, specifics, and fun, check out the website or call 803-356-9755.
- About: offers contemporary-traditional Karate (ages 3+), classical Jiu-Jitsu (ages 14+), fitness kick boxing (ages 14+), and kids camps and birthday parties (ages 5-12). Take class together as a family, bond and kick some butt!! For more detail on programs, take a look at their website or drop by to view the facility! 803-783-5425
- About: To get your kids interested in art at a young age, the Columbia Museum of Art has a program to make the galleries more interactive for anyone 2 to 10. Younger kids' backpacks can be explored together as a family, explaining different hands-on activities, coloring books, binoculars and other activities that relate to the backpack's theme: pattern, color, shape, and the current traveling exhibition.
- About: Educational and entertaining classes catered to children from the ages of 0 - 5 will have your kid learning all about the world before they even reach kindergarten! Programs included sensory stimulation, problem solving games, storytelling and more! Call 803.400.1157 for more information.
- About: Riverbanks want your kid to get interested in the Animal Kingdom right from the get go! With Toddler Tales, bring your toddler to Riverbanks any Thursday for an age appropriate program that ranges from activities like stories and songs to an adventure at the Zoo! This program is included with paid admission!
Have Fun and Play
- About: Trek around Congaree National Park or go play on the playground at Sesquicentennial Park! There are also a ton of parks that have playgrounds, check out Irmo Chapin Recreation Commission and Richland County Recreation to find the perfect park for you and your child! If it's raining, you can always go to Monkey Joe's to get out the rest of their pent up energy!
After School & Holiday Camps
- About: Offers summer camps like Mini-Musical Camp, Improv and Sketch Comedy for Teens, Audition Techniques, Children's Storybook Theatre and many other exciting workshops. For full details and registration, call 803-799-1009.
- About: School's out, but Camp EdVenture's ready to fill your child's break from school with knowledge and fun! EdVenture's offers Spring Break Camp, Winter Break Camp, and Summer Camp EdVenture. Sessions will equip, astound, and delight any child. School may be out but learning is in at EdVenture Children's Museum! Sessions vary for different ages so check out their website for a full listing of programs as well as information regarding dates, times, pricing and registration, or call 803-779-3100.
- About: A space-themed educational program designed to provide interactive learning experiences, integrating science and math curricula with information and technology. Summer programs will arouse your little explorer's curiosity and foster creativity and ingenuity whether he/she will be learning about robots or building them, building a model rocket or flying a jet (simulator)! Camps are available for grades 3-8. All sessions are held during June. For full details, exact dates, a listing of programs and registration call 803-929-3951.
- About: Perfect for the active child, Palmetto Conservation Adventure Camp programs will enhance your little one's leadership skills, educate her/him about proper stewardship of the outdoors, and provide lots of fun to encourage mental and physical development. Ages 7-13. Sessions are held starting in June and running until the beginning of August. For further details and registration, call 803-771-0870.
- About: Just $30 a week! Sports, games, arts & crafts, field trips and special guests are offered. Available at 7 city parks. For info, call 803.545.3100.
Riverbanks Zoo & Garden
- About: Offers not only Summer Camp Programs but Spring Break Camp and Winter Break Camp as well. The Summer Camp Programs (Sprout Camp, KinderCamp, and Wild Weeks) allow your little one to go on adventure to learn about animals, plants, and how to save the earth this summer and learn to appreciate and support the natural environment we all share. Summer programs serve ages 3-12 and session dates vary. Spring and Winter Break Camps serve ages 5-10 and pack hands-on activities, animal encounters, behind-the-scenes tours, games, and arts and crafts into three fun-filled days. For full details and registration, call 803-779-8717.
Columbia Children's Theatre
- About: Provides Summer day camps for kids in grades K through 12. Give your children an edge by encouraging them to participate in one of our fun and exciting summer camps.
Campers will learn skills and make friendships that last long after camp is over. Programs vary for each season so call 803-691-4548 for more information.
The South Carolina State Museum
- About: is a great place for an educational, fun-filled birthday bash. Your child can explore with the Carolina Safari, become a Mad Scientist, or navigate the high seas as a pirate! The only problem? How will you outdo this next year?! 803-898-4921
- About: Have your birthday party at The Final Door! Why not get captured by a cult, locked in a dark cellar, avoid a flesh-eating zombie or outrun a bunch of pirates? Columbia's ultimate escape room game, The Final Door, is the most challenging fun you'll ever have in 60 minutes! You will have to work to solve puzzles, find clues, and ultimately escape one of the rooms. There are rooms for all ages - some scary and some family-friendly. Most rooms are designed for 2-8 people, with one four-person room - perfect for a double date - and group discounts for groups of 20+ people.
- Address: 930 Knox Abbott Drive, Columbia, SC 29033
Hours: Tues-Sun: 10am - 8:30pm | Fri-Sat: Later bookings available | Reserve time in advance
- Phone: (803) 602-2433
Frankie's Fun Park
- About: will jam-pack your child's special day with fun and laughter! Party packages include an all-day unlimited Fun House pass, arcade fun money, one attraction pass of your choice, and a kids meal with drink. With 3 go-cart tracks, 3 different mini-golf courses, laser tag, batting cages, a rock climbing wall, and more than 100 games in their state-of-the-art arcade, there's something for every little one! Food, games--what else do you need for a great birthday? 803-791-2342
- About: May be the coolest birthday party you'll ever throw! Pick your year wisely--you may never top the birthday celebration held in front of Eddie®, the world’s largest child. Included are activities for 15 children, guided museum exploration, and much more!! Bring your own food and decoration, or use the many EdVenture options to customize your child's special day! 803-779-3100
- About: is the perfect way to celebrate a fun-filled, no-stress birthday! During your 2 hour private farm party (geared toward children 2-7), all you have to do is enjoy and bring the cake--they do all the work! Parties include pony rides (with an 85 pound weight limit), a visit to the petting farm, a tractor-drawn hayride around the farm, and a hot dog roast! 803-754-4724
- About: is an indoor, inflatable party and play center available for private birthday parties, day care field trips, mom’s groups, sports team parties, home school groups, and church youth groups. 803-732-8900
Laugh N Leap
- About: provides inflatable bounce house rentals and water slides for kids birthday parties and events in Columbia SC and surrounding areas. We are a new inflatable rental company located in Columbia, SC. Call 803-647-9601 for more information.
The Columbia Museum of Art
- About: is more than a learning opportunity--they do a great birthday bash! Celebrate your child with an Art-Full Birthday Celebration, for KidsPlus! members and above levels. A 2-hour party includes a 30-minute gallery tour, hands on activity, paper products, invitations, and art smock for the birthday child. With options like Animal Art Safari, Finding Fairies, Gods and Goddesses, and Jewels, Fabulous Jewels, your little one will never forget their special day at the Columbia Museum of Art! 803-799-2810
Fox Tree Farm and Nursery
- About: is the perfect place for a fun outdoor party your child will never forget! Fox Tree Farm offers a petting zoo, horseback rides, hayrides, cookouts and crafts, making it a great place for birthday parties! Fox Tree Farm also has a nursery, Christmas tree farm, and Easter egg hunts making it a great place for other get-togethers as well. 803-356-4052
Palmetto Athletic Center
- About: prides itself on providing a birthday where your child is the STAR of the party! This fun-filled birthday party includes one hour of play time and thirty minutes of party time for cake and presents. Your child will be able to enjoy a rope swing, foam block pitt, parachute games, a 30 foot slide, rock wall, in-ground trampolines, inflatables, and zipline! 803-951-2090